Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Happy Mardi Gras!

Today is the day to celebrate all things Louisiana! As a former resident of the state of Louisiana, I'd like to share a deliciously easy recipe for a New Orleans staple: The Shrimp Po'Boy. The sandwich is traditionally stuffed with fried shrimp, but this version is fresh and flavorful and keeps it on the lighter side...


You'll need -

Loaf of fresh French bread (Publix does a nice job with theirs)
1 lb Fresh shrimp (peeled and deveined)
Olive oil spray (like Pam)
Lettuce
Sliced tomatoes
Dill pickle slices
Light mayo
Salt
Pepper
Chopped garlic
Fresh parsley
Cajun Seasoning
Lemon

Preheat oven to 350. Slice bread into 6 servings and then slice in half, leaving one side unsliced (so it opens like a book). Lightly spray the inside of the bread with olive oil and place on a cookie sheet in the oven for about 4 minutes to toast. While your bread is toasting, toss shrimp with salt, pepper, garlic, parsley and cajun spice and add to a hot skillet. Squeeze a lemon over the shrimp and cook to a pretty pink.

To serve, be sure to "dress" the sandwich like a local New Orlenian: Slather bread with mayo and pile on lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and shrimp. Lassiez le bon temps rouler!

4 comments:

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

This looks so delicious. My daughter who is away at school will love this. She loves shrimp!! When she comes home in a few weeks I will be making this for her. A change from the scampi I usually make when she comes home for a visit.

Unknown said...

My husband would love this!

Sara said...

I'm not sure how I came across your blog but I cannot wait to try this recipe! It looks so yummy!

www.skinnyonadime.com

Kelley at My Island Wedding said...

oh man! are you for real??? the best food i have ever had was in new orleans! the first was a blackened shrimp po boy! amazing! this looks great too! maybe this yankee girl could make it work!!!

thanks.
-kelley