Monday, February 22, 2010

Brunch: Florida Style

I love making brunch for Mr. Beachy on the weekends. I get up whenever I wake up and trundle off to whip something up. Nine times out of ten, we have BLT's on Saturday or Sunday. This weekend we had them on Saturday. Just in case your wondering here's what you need for my Beachy BLT's: fresh sourdough bread, really good tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, thick cut smoked bacon (I get an Amish kind at our butcher and I pepper it while it cooks), and Duke's mayonaise. Only Duke's will do. Toast your bread, put mayo on both slices. Layer in this order: Bread, bacon, tomato (salt the tomato), 2 lettuce leaves, bread. So tasty.


Sunday, I make a scramble and fresh squeezed Florida Orange Juice.


Ingredients:

6 Bacon strips
2 Diced potatoes
1 Diced onion
Parsley
Red pepper flakes
Oregano
Pepper
Salt
Mushrooms
Cherry tomatoes
3 eggs (beat with a little milk, salt & pepper)
Butter
Shredded cheddar cheese

Begin by frying up your bacon in a skillet. Cook low and slow to prevent the bacon from curling up (I set my electric skillet for about 250 degrees). Pepper both sides of the bacon as it cooks. Drain on a couple of paper towels. Cut bacon into thirds or fourths and set aside.

In the bacon fat, add your diced potatoes and onions and sprinkle with spices. I listed what I used in the ingredients, but feel free to play with any seasonings you like. Cover and cook on medium to medium high until potatoes are tender. Stir potatoes frequently to prevent burning and develop crispy sides.

Add your cherry tomatoes and mushrooms and reduce to medium low.

In another pan, scramble up your 3 egg mixture in a tablespoon or so lf butter. Mmm, butter...

When the eggs are still a bit under cooked, add them to your skillet. You can also add your bacon back at this time.

Now, top your skillet with shredded cheddar cheese. Of course you can use jack or swiss or whatever you have on hand.

Cover the skillet to let the cheese melt. This won't take long.

Stir to combine the eggs and cheese with the potatoes and plate it up!

Now it's time for some fresh Florida Orange Juice! We order a case of oranges every month from one of our local growers. You can too. Nokomis Groves is a great place to start!



Hopefully you've got a juicer. I bought a new one for Mr. Beachy for Christmas this year. His od one had given up.


Mmm. Doesn't it look great?

Now this is the way to start a lazy Sunday!


2 comments:

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

Your recipes never fail me.
How's the sun shining in your neck of the woods?
Have a great week!

Simple Daisy said...

Yes...that all looks super fabulous! I love lazy weekends:)