Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Homosassa Springs

This past Sunday, my sister took me to Homosassa Springs State Park just 30 miles north of where she lives. The animals there are all native to Florida except one.


Baby armadillos! They were so small. And active! I'm so used to seeing them "sleeping" on the side of the road...


Of course there were Manatees!


This manatee is swimming right over the starting point of the spring that runs all the way to the Gulf. It's such a pretty blue.


This is Lu. He is the only animal at the park NOT native to Florida.




Great egret


Black bear


This is a Spoonbill. They're pink!


Not sure what this little guy was, but he sure is cute!


Bald eagle


Pink flamingoes: the symbol of Florida


Look at this owl. What a cutie pie!


The gators were huge!


The visit to the park was just $9.00, including a boat ride! If you're in the area, I recommend it. They also have several shows daily including the manatees and hippo! It was HOT, but we had a really great time.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Soooo cute! I could spend all day there! Must put that on my "next time in Florida" (whenever that may be) list!

Swamp Sisters: 77 Day Journey said...

Wow! That looks so fun! I'm going to have to visit there soon!

Miss Madras said...

My parents live 10 minutes from the park and I can't say I have ever been. Looking at your photos I will have to make a day trip of it.

Unknown said...

The armadillos are sooo cute!

Stereos and Souffles said...

I've never been, looks fun! I need to get out more. I've lived here 27 years and haven't even explored the Everglades. Pathetic.

smilinggreenmom said...

Can I please just tell you how painful it feels to view your blog...in a good way of course LOL I am a midwesterner and my dream has always been to move south. I bug my dear hubs about it all the time...all the time! I cannot stand the weather here and my soul yearns for the sea. How did you do it? How did you just pick up and go? We are worried about uprooting our children from family. Has that crossed your mind yet? Anyway-would so love to hear how you made this happen. Caroline *smilinggreenmom (twitter) this time, green stands for TOTALLY jealous! ;)