Monday, August 10, 2009

Manatee Monday


This weekend Mr. Beachy and I headed up I-75 north for 2 hours to my sister's house for a visit. After a day of hanging out at her pool on Saturday, we decided on Sunday we would head up to the Weeki Wachee River. I had been once, but it was Mr. Beachy's first time. He loved it, by the way...

The Weeki Wachee River is a river in Hernando County, Florida, just a 20 minute drive from my sister's house. It flows 12 miles westwards from Weeki Wachee to the Gulf of Mexico at the Weeki Wachee estuary. The river is best known for its spring, and the Weeki Wachee Springs attraction built on the premises. The spring is the surfacing point of an underground river, which is the deepest naturally occurring spring in the United States. It measures about 150 feet (46 meters) wide and 250 feet (76 meters) long, daily water averages 170 million gallons (644 million liters). The water temperature is a steady 74.2 degrees year-round which is pretty chilly, but feels great on a hot, hot Florida day.

We rented a 4 person boat and headed out. Along our 4 hour trip we saw a total of 3 manatee. One was a mama and new baby!


Have a great Monday!
UPDATE: Take-Along Lasagna was a HUGE hit. Make this for your family ASAP!

2 comments:

DT ~ RDH said...

ooh, that water looks so appealing! I've been wanting to hit a spring...the ichetucknee and ginnie springs is pretty popular w/my friends but I've not been to any of them!!

Solar Powered said...

great pics, that looks like a fun weekend. That lasagna recipe is almost the same one that I make that I got off pioneer woman, isn't it great? And it gets better every day it sits!